Are you looking for a more efficient way to bring eggs in from the henhouse and produce from the garden? As a homesteading mom of four who already needs about 5 more hands, I feel your pain! Carrying an infant or a toddler while trying to collect eggs / veggies is difficult enough without trying to lug around a box or a basket as well. After try to use a gathering basket for a while, I finally decided that a handmade gathering apron would be a much more effective option for me. This apron is nothing fancy, but it is simple to make and it does the job. I can’t ask for more than that!
Why You Should Make Your Own Simple Gathering Apron
You can make a simple gathering apron with a couple yards of fabric, a towel, or a standard size pillowcase. This 4-pocket gathering apron can be completed with only 10-15 minutes of your time and about $8 (or less) of your cash!
Using a gathering apron instead of a basket to harvest eggs and produce allows you to have your hands free to feed, water, clean the coop, carry a baby, or anything else you need to do while you are working. I have also found that I can carry many more eggs and much more produce in this apron than I could carry in my egg and harvest baskets!
Supplies You Will Need to Sew Your Own Gathering Apron:
- a couple yards of fabric, a towel, or a standard size pillowcase
- thread (in a color that matches your ribbon)
- a needle
- wide ribbon or canvas straps
- a sewing machine
A Few Quick Tips to Keep in Mind:
- Double-stitch! This will add strength to and help prolong the life of your gathering apron.
- Decide if you want a 2 pocket or 4 pocket apron. If you want only 2 pockets, follow along with the mistake I made in the video. If you want 4, follow the note that I made about it.
- Choose a sturdy ribbon. You don’t want to pick a ribbon that is pretty, but won’t hold the weight of your eggs / veggies/ herbs.
- If you care about the cosmetic details, be sure that your thread matches your ribbon. Mine doesn’t match, but I wasn’t going for beauty with mine.
Are you ready to make your own gathering apron?
*Note–> In the video, I messed up and sewed the top of two of the pockets… I’m blaming it on being camera shy :/ I’ll create a new video one day. There is a note on the video for you. As long as you pay attention to that, then you will have a 4 pocket apron.
You can also read the full written tutorial in this post at Summers Acres!
Have you made a harvest or a gathering apron? Tell me how much you love it!
>>More Gardening Resources<<
- 35 Spring Garden Planning Resources
- 10 Frugal Gardening Tips
- 15+ Gardening Tips + Resources to Get You Started
- 6 Reasons You Should Be Gardening with Kids
- How to Make DIY Planting Containers with Household Items
- Make a DIY Compost Bin with a 5 Gallon Bucket
- 31 FREE Garden Seed Pack Labels