Natural Goat Care Solutions that You Need to Know About
Modern medicine is not taboo around our home and farm, but we opt for natural remedies when possible. Natural medicine is nice because it can be grown on-farm and it is derived from God-given resources. God created every plant for a reason and I like to put them to their proper uses. Natural goat care has been my primary focus since we started raising dairy goats a little over two years ago. There are lots of herbs, essential oils, and common pantry items that can be used to keep your goats happy and healthy…read on for a helpful little list 🙂
*This list is not comprehensive, but it includes those solutions that I find most helpful.
Natural Goat Care Solutions
- Red Raspberry Leaf helps in pregnancy, labor, and lactation.
- Garlic is a multi-purpose herb that is most often used as a dewormer.
- Oregano has antibacterial properties that can fight off illnesses.
- Comfrey heals bones & skin following injuries.
- Slippery Elm Bark soothes digestive & respiratory issues.
- Peppermint Oil repels flies, induces milk letdown, and treats mastitis.
- Tea Tree Oil is a strong antibacterial that disinfects and heals many different skin ailments.
- Lavender Oil has a calming effect on nervous & stressed animals.
- Oregano Oil helps to ward off illnesses.
Keep Molasses on hand for a quick and natural energy boost. Mix a little molasses into a doe’s water after she has given birth or make treats with molasses mixed in.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Add a splash of ACV to your goats’ water bucket for overall health & to keep the water clean.
My Favorite Natural Goat Care Products & Recipes
BiteMe! Goat Treats
I am not an herbalist and I haven’t mastered any DIY herbal solutions so I use BiteMe! herbal treats. These treats are pre-made & formulated for specific preventative measures and treatments.
- Squirmy Wormy for deworming
- Mineral Mojo for Copper & Selenium deficiency
- Baby Mama for pregnant does
- Belly Buddy to soothe the digestive tract
- Funk Fixer for immune system support
- Milk Money to increase milk production
Downed Goat Recipe
We use this recipe when we have a sick goat that can’t get up. It provides strength & energy for the goat to stand up for a better chance at recovery.
- 1 baked sweet potato
- 1 can of ripe, stout beer
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup water
Blend into a soup and get it down the goat (you might have to force feed with a syringe). Feed as many times as needed to get the goat back up.
Instead of buying Bag Balm or Udder Butter from the feed store, I make my own. The recipe that I use works to moisturize, protect, soften, & clean the udder + it smells great!
Natural Goat Care Resources
“Natural Goat Care” by Pat Coleby
This book is a highly recommended resource to help you dive a little deeper into caring for your herd naturally.
Molly’s Herbals provides pre-made natural goat medicines and tons of information on herbs and supplements for goats.
*This information does not replace professional advice.
More Goat Resources
- 10+ Dairy Goat Essentials for Your Small Herd
- Keeping Small Herd Goat Records
- Giving Copper Bolus to Your Goat Herd
- How to Drain an Abscess on a Goat
- Homemade Bag Balm for Dairy Animals
- The Goat Record Book
very helpful tips for goat care.. i have quite a few farmer friends, im gonna share it with them
Thank you!!!!!!! Your downed goat recipe literally saved my bucks life today!!!!