Click here to Jump to Recipe
The ability to make your own pantry staples is a skill that I believe everyone should have in their back pocket. This skill comes in handy when you need an ingredient last minute that you are out of, when you need to make a quick baking or cooking substitution, when you want to stop paying for convenience items, and when there is an emergency or crisis that creates a food shortage. Homemade evaporated milk is possibly the easiest pantry staples that you can make. It only requires one ingredient and about 30 minutes of time from start to finish.
What is Evaporated Milk?
Evaporated Milk is simply whole milk that has been boiled down to reduce the water content. It is the same as Sweetened Condensed Milk without the additional sugar.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Did you know that you can make homemade evaporated milk with only ONE ingredient in 30 minutes?? #homemade #homemadehousehold #evaporatedmilk #pantrystaples” quote=”Did you know that you can make homemade evaporated milk with only ONE ingredient in 30 minutes?? ” theme=”style2″]
How to Make Your Own Homemade Evaporated Milk
Evaporated Milk can typically be found at your local grocery store, but it can be made at home very easily if you prefer homemade or if your stores don’t have it in stock. To make evaporated milk, you simply need to simmer whole milk for about 30 minutes. That’s it!
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
1. Add whole milk to a small-medium sauce pan.
2. Bring the milk to a simmer over medium heat.
3. Once it has started to simmer, lower the heat and continue to simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
4. Gently stir to keep the milk from scorching on the bottom of the pan.
4. After simmering, the milk should be reduced by a little over half… leaving you with one cup of homemade evaporated milk.
5. Allow the milk to cool and transfer it to an airtight container such as a mason jar.
How to Store Leftover Homemade Evaporated Milk
If you don’t use your evaporated milk immediately, you can store it in a mason jar in your refrigerator for 5-7 days OR you can freeze the milk in an ice cube tray. Place the frozen cubes in a zip lock bag and keep them in the freezer until you are ready to use them.
Uses for Evaporated Milk
- Evaporated milk is used in many recipes for pies, fudge, salad dressings, coffee creamer, soups, and more.
- Add it to your macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes, and scrambled eggs instead of milk for a creamier result.
- Make baby formula with evaporated milk if you run out.
- Reconstitute it by adding 1 part water to 1 part evaporated milk.
- Evaporated milk can also be used as a substitute for half and half or heavy cream!
Homemade Evaporated Milk
- 2 1/4 cup whole milk
- Add whole milk to a small-medium sauce pan.
- Bring the milk to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once it has started to simmer, lower the heat and continue to simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
- Gently stir to keep the milk from scorching on the bottom of the pan.
- After simmering, the milk should be reduced by a little over half... leaving you with one cup of homemade evaporated milk.
>>MORE Pantry Staple Substitutions + Recipes<<
- Homemade Dairy Product Recipes
- 5 Ingredients Salted Milk and Honey Ice Cream Recipe
- 26+ Homemade Pantry Staple Recipes + Substitutions
- 15 Egg Substitutions for Baking
- Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Pantry Staples for a Homemade Household
Pin “How to Make Homemade Evaporated Milk” for later!